Planning An Event?
In order for us to serve you better, please take a look at our highly recommended planning checklist!
Step 1: The Idea and the Purpose
Think about the 5 W’s of your event. The “H” (how) is up to us.
- What/Why: What will be the goal or purpose of this event?
- Who: Who is your target audience for this event?
- When: When do you want to hold this event? What time of year?
- Where: Where do you want to meet or hold your events? We have a wide variety of venues, and will do our best to find a location that will make your event a success.
Step 2: Numbers and Logistics
Before you go any further, you will need to set some parameters.
- How many people do you want to participate?
- How many staff will you need to accommodate this number?
- How long will the conference be?
- Pick some potential dates.
- Be sure to include whether your staff will be required to come early.
Step 3: Customize It
You have plenty of options. Be sure to know what you will need before you come. Here are some questions you should be prepared to have answers for:
- Do you require air conditioned rooms?
- Will your guests be doubles or singles?
- Will your staff be doubles or singles?
- Would you like standard residential rooms or would you like suite-style rooms with living rooms?
- Do you need communal bathrooms or would you prefer to have more private baths?
- How important is on-site parking?
- How much communal space do you need?
- If your event is co-ed, do you need to put men and women in separate floors or separate buildings?
- Do you want linens?
- What are the ages of your participants? We may require that you have a certain ratio of staff members to participants depending on their ages.
- Will your groups need meals?
- What kind of dining plan would you like: one price for all you can eat, catered meals, a-la-carte style meals, or a combination of them?
- Do you have any special needs, such as allergies, vegan or vegetarian meals, or the need for Kosher facilities?
- Will your group require meeting space?
- If so, be prepared to give a basic outline of the number of rooms necessary as well as the capacity of each room, technology that might be necessary, and room configuration preference.
- Do you need audio-visual support?
- Do you need access to computers?
- Do you need access to the wireless internet network?
- Will your group be bringing laptops?
- Will you be having scheduled recreation time? If so, you will need facilities for these activities.
- What do you plan on doing during that time?
- Will you need instructors or equipment?
- How many people would you like to participate?
Step 4: Give Us A Call
At this point you should have all the information necessary for us to assist you. We can tell you if we have what is necessary for your group, and give you estimates on pricing. We can also start to do preliminary booking of the necessary facilities and services.
Step 5: Finalize It
After you have decided to come to Truman, you will need to set an agenda that accounts for the time of everyone in your group from the time you arrive to the time you leave. Start with check-in and go all the way to check-out. Outline everything in between. Begin with times only, and make sure you account for travel time for getting from venue to venue. Once you have the times of your activities down, start compiling a resource list: what will be needed for each activity, both services and facilities? What will the setup of the rooms be? Make sure you submit any agenda changes to us as soon as possible.
Step 6: Success At Truman!
If you follow these easy steps, your event will be a success at Truman! Make sure to continue communicating your needs, especially if anything changes.